LASIK Surgery in Chicago
Many people with refractive errors resign themselves to a lifetime of glasses or contacts. However, it doesn’t have to be that way. Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is a sophisticated procedure that can improve one’s eyesight in a matter of minutes. During the procedure, an ophthalmologist uses a laser to create a flap in the cornea. He then carefully shapes the internal cornea and corrects the patient’s refractive error. To find out if LASIK can help improve your vision, set up an appointment at Gerstein Eye Institute, a vision center in Chicago.
Reasons to Consider LASIK
LASIK can correct most refractive errors, including farsightedness, nearsightedness, and astigmatism. Here are a few reasons why you might consider LASIK surgery.
- It Can Correct Your Vision Permanently: By altering the shape of your cornea, LASIK makes it so the light entering your eye refracts properly. This can drastically improve your vision.
- It’s a Fast and Painless Procedure: LASIK surgery is a minimally invasive procedure that takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. LASIK is completely safe and painless.
- It Can Eliminate the Need for Glasses/Contacts: Depending on which type of refractive error you have, LASIK could improve your vision to the point where you no longer need contacts or glasses. Imagine being able to swim, exercise, and perform other activities without having to worry about eyewear.
LASIK Facts and Statistics
LASIK is a very sophisticated procedure that has improved drastically over the years. Dr. Gerstein can help you better understand LASIK and whether it can significantly improve your vision.
- About 150 million Americans need glasses or contacts to see clearly.
- One in three Americans suffers from astigmatism.
- Spanish ophthalmologist Jose Barraquer developed the procedure for cutting corneal flaps in the 1950s.
- Lasers were first used in eye surgeries in the 1980s.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration formally approved LASIK in 1999.
- More than 700,000 patients undergo LASIK surgery every year.
- Over 12 million LASIK procedures have been performed in the United States.
- 92.6% of LASIK patients achieve a visual acuity of at least 20/40.
LASIK has permanently improved the vision of millions of Americans, and can help improve your vision, too. If you have any questions about LASIK or other eye surgeries, call Gerstein Eye Institute. Our Chicago eye surgery center has been improving the vision of Chicago residents since 1968, and we make a point of staying up-to-date with the latest procedures and advancements in the field of ophthalmology. Call (773) 973-3223 to schedule a LASIK consultation.