Due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic, in accordance with CDC guidelines, and to limit everyone’s exposure we have made the difficult decision to limit our practice ONLY to the treatment of patients with urgent and/or ongoing active eye problems. We will also continue to see our patients who are recovering from recent eye surgery (post-operative patients). If you do come to the office, please leave your driver in the car. If you need assistance or translation, please limit yourself to ONE assistant. We regret any inconvenience that this may cause, and hope to be able to return to full service as soon as it is safe to do so. For the time being, we have cancelled all elective non-office surgical procedures, and will reschedule them for April. Our call volume at the present time is very high, so we are grateful to you for your patience as we adapt to this ever-changing situation.
The symptoms of COVID-19 include sore throat, cough, fever and difficulty breathing in severe cases. If you believe that you are having symptoms that may be due to COVID-19, we urge you to contact your primary care physician for advice. If you currently have a fever, cough, or have traveled outside the US within the past 2 weeks, or have been exposed to someone with a coronavirus infection, please do NOT come to our office. If you have an urgent eye problem, or are a “post-op patient” and you have one of the above risk factors, please CALL us, 24/7, at 773-973-3223 to discuss the best course of action.
If you need additional information or resources to learn more about this condition, or if you need to be tested, please call the Northwestern Memorial Hospital COVID-19 Team at 847-467-4111 or email them mailto:email@example.com You can also visit the NMH website, at https://www.northwestern.edu .We hope that you and your family remain safe during this difficult time.
During this unprecedented healthcare crisis, our office has been doing the following:
- We are only seeing emergency patients and/or ongoing active eye problems.
- We are not scheduling routine appointments until April.
- We are encouraging anyone who is sick to stay home. This applies to employees, doctors, and patients.
- We are screening patients for COVID-19 symptoms over the phone and during check-in.
- We are asking that patients limit the number of people that they bring to their appointment.
- We are implementing additional cleaning measures throughout the day to sanitize countertops, chairs, and exam room equipment.
- We have removed shareable material, such as magazines, from the waiting areas.
- We have blocked off chairs in the waiting areas to maintain a six-foot distance between patients and have opened up an additional waiting room if necessary.
We will continue to monitor the situation as it unfolds and make any necessary changes. Thank you for trusting Gerstein Eye Institute with your eyecare.”